Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Go Royals!

So today (Wednesday) I took the day off of work and we headed out to "The K" to watch the Royals play the Indians. Big shout-out to Greg Schaum of 610 Sports here in KC for the awesome Diamond Club seats and Gold parking pass. Big time! Today's game worked on a few levels - first, it was against the Indians, who are Mom's original home team and it was a day game, which is necessary with an infant (well, ours anyways!).

First things first though, we were on TV this morning. Well, kind of. I emailed Don Harmon - the weatherman on Fox 4's morning show - to ask about the weather for today's game since there was quite a bit of rain in the forecast. Well, he mentioned us by name a couple of times and read my email on air. Again, we're so big time!

Anyways, we invited Nurse Rosemary and her husband, John (who, coincidentally were celebrating their 37th wedding anniversary today!) to the game. We met here at the house and then headed out to beautiful Kauffman Stadium. For those of you that don't know us, I'm a huge Royal's fan, but with Kylie's diagnosis in mid-April, we haven't been able to make it to a game until today's.

Once we got out to the stadium, our first stop was at Guest Services to get Kylie's certificate of fandom. She'll be burdened with being a fan of this laughable franchise for life. Kylie, I'm sorry that you weren't born in New York or Boston, where your team has a legitimate chance of post-season play every year.


Man, the renovations to Kauffman are amazing! The exterior of the stadium, the concourses, the "outfield experience" (more on that later), everything is so cool. That Diamond Club is sure something too! You can sit in those nice padded seats in the sections right behind the plate (behind the uber-fancy Crown Seats) or you can go into the club itself, which is air-conditioned with its own concessions. Pretty darn slick. Here's a picture of Mom and Kylie, just as the game was beginning:


A co-worker of mine is friends with the White Sox mascot, so she asked this person to get in touch with Sluggerrr (apparently MLB mascots are a tight-knit fraternity) and see if he could come hang with us and meet Kylie. Well, he did, and it was awesome! Big thanks to Bobbie Harsch for the hookup there.


Unfortunately, Kylie is going through the stranger anxiety phase, so a 7-foot tall lion was just a little too much...


After hanging in the Diamond Club for the first seven innings or so we walked all the way around through the new "outfield experience" which provides such a cool view from the outfield. It's was a really odd experience since that was something Royal's fans haven't been able to do until this year.

While out there, we snapped a picture of Rosemary and John. 37-years...congratulations!!

The Royals lost 4-2, so Mom was pleased her team came out on top. I'm pretty sure Kylie didn't notice there was a game going on, let alone who won.

She did an amazing job today. I thought we'd probably stay for maybe half of the game before she got fed up with being there. When I looked up and saw it was the 8th inning I was shocked that we were still in attendance and the baby was doing fine. Kylie did a great job and we stayed until the final out was recorded!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am glad you had a great day and I could help...I have been so caught up with the birth of my son that I have lost track of dates and time. I would have enjoyed meeting your family...hope you are all great and I will tell you a little secret...'slugger is a personal friend, so let me know and next time I will help you out with that."

Take care

Greg Schaum

Anonymous said...

Looks like a great day! We need to get together soon! Monica

Sarah said...

Hi, my name is Sarah and I came across your blog and just wanted to say that I live in KC and have 2 daughters with IS. I also have a blog and sometimes write about their struggle with IS if you wanted to check it out sometime!

www.fieldstriplets.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Congrats to Rosemary and John! and Also Congrats to Kylie on her first royals game. HOw awesome is that! Looks like you all had a great time. ;)

 

Miniature Stump Copyright 2008 All Rights Reserved Baby Blog Designed by Ipiet | All Image Presented by Tadpole's Notez